Sunday, July 15, 2007

First week…

So, I’ve now been in town for over a week. Last Sunday was a day of cocooning in my apartment. Monday included picking up my Internet package from the post office and have a muskrat burger and bannock at Nunavut Day. Tuesday was another day of just hanging out, with a trip down to North Mart for groceries. Getting used to actually purchasing food for all meals, rather than eating out several times a week, is going to take some adjustment! ;)

My first three days at work went well. I’ve read all sorts, attended a ministerial announcement, and attended meetings.

This weekend I’ve kept pretty busy too. On Friday evening and joined my manager at a birthday dinner followed by a movie at her friends’ place. Saturday I met with four people for a bible study (I’d met two of these people when I was visiting in June). I then went and bought more groceries. In the late afternoon, another newbie to Iqaluit (a co-worker) and I wandered up to “The Frob” (a.k.a. the Frobisher Inn) to look at crafts (which weren’t there that day), chat, have dinner and then see the new Harry Potter movie.

On our way back down the hill, I stopped to take some pics of flowers (see below).








We also trotted down to the bay to see how the ice is clearing out (more pics below).











We had a nice time and then stopped by another colleague’s apartment for a while before going our separate ways.

On Sunday I attended church – successfully this time – and then wondered around town some more. In the afternoon I read, played Mah Jongg on the computer and watched a movie. I was supposed to go to a church member’s home for dinner on Sunday evening, but decided I needed to slow down a bit before the start of a new workweek.

So these are the joys of life so far in Iqaluit!

Until later….ta ta.

2 comments:

barbmom said...

Hey Gillian,
Hope this isn't too weird, but your mom forwarded your blog site to me. You have been in my prayers for safe journey and patience as you adjust to a way new way of working and living. If you are interested you can visit my blog www.barbsgodthing.blogspot.com...and get into some theological dialogue.
Shalom
Barb ...Associate Pastor FUMC
Lawrence, Kansas

ME said...

sounds like things are going well Gill! miss you lots but im glad youre keeping busy and having a decent time. tell us more about your work. im sure there's some cool challenges!
Leah
ps the asep announcement went well!! :-)