Thursday, August 21, 2008

Summer Holiday - Day 12 (Sainte, France)

The morning started off with a bit of disorientation. The hotel where I was staying is located on a round-about which gives signs towards destinations rather than street names. Unfortunately I had no map, so I started walking down a street towards some restaurants. I saw some pedestrian signs for to tourist attractions, so I followed their directions. One sign directed me to a roman ampitheater by following the path below.



As I was leaving the site bursts of rain kept on occurring so I would seek cover under the trees along the path.
I then followed directions toward Eglise Sainte-Eutrope. Here's a view of the crypt where the first services were held. Sainte-Eutrope brought Christianity to Sainte in 1st century AD.
I took a brief tour of the church above-ground too.


After having a filling Caesar salad, which included egg and chicken, I went back to my hotel room for most of the afternoon. Here's a view out my window.


In the evening I ventured out for dinner, having pizza for dinner. I wandered down towards the Charente river and stopped for a dessert crepe and cider. As I crossed a pedestria bridge, I noticed several people looking at something in the water...it turned out to be a family of animals that I still have not managed to identify.

During my meanderings, I wandered by the Arc de Triomphe which used to be at the beginning of the roman bridge across the Charente River leading into Sainte. It was moved when the bridge needed to be moved and the water was rising and eroding the shoreline.


Nearby was the Musée ancienne.


Heading back towards the hotel, I passed by the Office de tourisme...they definitely didn't skimp on their accommodations!

They had such lovely gardens too.

After that, I headed back to the hotel for a good night's rest.

No comments: